Peter John Metcalfe
A dynamic, innovative, educator and versatile leader with a proven track record collaborating with colleagues in diverse fields, primarily in education, training and aviation. Used to working autonomously, managing cost centre budgets, supervising staff and providing academic and pastoral guidance throughout the organisation. A solid team player used to working at a high level, with a wide range of skills, fully transferable to any coaching, learning and development organisation.
Leadership and Team Building
A strong personality with presence who motivates those around him to make the most of what they have.
Believes strongly in morality to provide solutions to problems in the workplace which enhances and strengthens human relations.
Confident and articulate, using excellent written and verbal skills to inform colleagues: vital to the delivery of effective performance
Embraces change and enables others to do so by sharing a vision of what is possible.
Controls and directs the complete lifecycle of complex projects with rigour, imagination and efficiency to deliver exceptional results.
Resourceful strategic thinker who has seized on opportunities to make a positive impact in many diverse working environments
|Winchester College||1978 – 1981|
|1986 – 2010|
An Independent school for 600 boys aged 13-18, founded in 1382 by William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester.
|Head of History:||2008 – 2010|
Managed the change from A/S,A2 to the new qualification – Pre-U.
- Successfully managed change in the teaching of academic History by the re-introduction of a tutorial system. Mentored junior colleagues by personal example such that admissions to Russell Group universities were doubled.
- Liaised with Oxbridge colleges and helped triple Humanities admissions to Russell Group.
- Analysed historic data on Oxbridge Admissions to target applicants appropriately, resulting in a threefold increase in placement.
|Assistant Master & Chapel Steward:||2003 – 2010|
Teaching full time to a high level, coaching and raising academic standards.
- Mentored junior staff, particularly in the Humanities to raise standards.
- Managed School Religious attendance in accordance with the traditions of the School.
|Senior Housemaster:||2001 – 2003|
Represented Housemasters in the senior management team at the school.
- Helped develop creative programmes for Housing, Health & Safety, Salaries and Security.
- Took the initiative to redraft Personal & Social Education Programme, which became the best – practice template both at the School and at other boarding schools.
- Due to internal issues regarding alcohol and substance abuse, instigated a community wide education programme. Specialist sources of expertise such as AA, Clouds House and the Police were coordinated to deliver a ground breaking solution.
- Mentored successfully other housemasters to impove each individual’s performance and self confidence.
|Housemaster||1992 – 2003|
Led and managed a community of sixty adolescents and associated staff
- Successfully mentored 120 members of the House through to Tertiary Education.
- Ran the House to Budget throughout the period.
- Liaised with parents from initial contact to son’s progression to further education.
- As Head of Soccer, for the second time and with limited resources, successfully re-established the School as a football ‘power’.
|Assistant Master:||1986 – 1992|
Taught History, Politics and Economics to A – Level and Scholarship.
- Became combined Master – in – Charge of Cricket, Football and Winchester College Football. Inaugurated overseas sports tours in the life of the School.
- Led a multi-thousand pound fund raising venture to secure a cricket tour to Australia. So much money was raised that a cricket square was re-laid, equipment purchased, and two members of a boys club in Hoxton had the trip of a lifetime.
- Established Nijmegen Marches as a fund raiser for charities involving 350 students over 11 years.
|Brentwood School||Assistant Master & House Tutor||1983-1986|
An independent coeducational day school for 1200 students 11 – 18 yrs
Successful teaching of the Humanities to Scholarship level.
- Unbeaten Football & Cricket teams.
- Initiated and led trips to Russia, Holland, Belgium, and France.
- Organised a successful expedition behind the then ‘iron curtain’ for thirty students. It was the first of its kind.
|Farmhouse Frozen Foods||Executive Assistant to Directors||1982 – 1983|
|Air Products Ltd||Market Research Analyst||1972 – 1975|
|Royal Air Force||Pilot Officer||1971 – 1972|
|Cambridge University||P.G.C.E. (Distinction)||1977 – 1978|
|U.C.W. Aberystwyth||M.Sc. (Econ)||1975 – 1977|
|U.C.W. Aberystwyth||B.Sc. (Econ) II/I||1972 – 1975|
|Raynes Park C.G.S.||3 A Levels; History, Economics, Geography.||1963 – 1971|
|Language||International Language Centre, Paris – TEFL||1995|
|Management:||Harvard Business School
Strategic Human Resource Management
- Cricket – M.C.C.
- Vintage Cars – M.G.C. owner
- Carp/Fly Fishing.